Reminder: we’ve made the choice who the president elect is. It’s now time to hold him to the highest standard as we do for all presidents. This is explicitly intended to be a nonpartisan post. If you disagree with something I’ve written here or think it’s slanted, I’m genuinely curious why; please take the time to comment!
I find the following hard to square with a person who’s operating by the highest standard:
- No tax returns released. Unprecedented in modern politics, has to be made right.
- Upcoming fraud trial regarding Trump University. Unprecedented in modern politics, has to be made right.
- Operators of blind trust are members of transition team, creating clear conflict of interest. Unprecedented in modern politics.
- Appointment of Stephen Bannon as Chief of Strategy, who’s explicitly created a platform for “alt-right” and has published Antisemitic, racist, and misogynist content. This is not a nomination to unite the country. Hard to understand anyone of high character having a person like this as adviser.
- Appointment of children as operators of “blind trust”. Hard to understand how business will be operated “blindly”. Not illegal for president and vice president, but would be illegal for lower-level officials in executive branch.
- Threat of legal action to a sitting US Senator over criticism. This is reminiscent of Richard Nixon, who was not a man of high character.